Monday, February 23, 2009

$25 Challenge First Day

Hi, everyone-

I can already tell that this is going to be a difficult week. I anticipated that the change in my eating habits would be major, but it's only Monday and I am hungry! I did my shopping on Saturday and I think I spent about 45 minutes just trying to figure out what I could afford and what I would actually eat. Those who know me know what a very, very picky eater I am. I pretty much don't eat any veggies (corn and potatoes only) and I eat very few fruits. I eat lots of beef and chicken. Needless to say, I didn't purchase either of those two staples on Saturday. What I came away with was lots of pasta, in various forms, as well as a frozen TV dinner, cottage cheese, saltine crackers, bread, eggs, waffles and PB&J. I didn't spend the entire amount because I felt sure I would need to purchase other items as the week progressed and at some point in time I will most certainly have to go to Sonic during happy hour for a Dr. Pepper and a $1 hamburger. My initial thought had been that I will eat one meal a day and that would be in the evening. However, I'm not sure I am going to be able to go an entire week on that philosophy!

One note of interest while I was shopping on Saturday was the way people kept looking at me. It was obvious that I was trying to be frugal by the off-brand items I was putting in my cart and the way I kept counting in my head and then putting something back on the shelf when I realized it was more than what I could pay. I watched people watching me and I could see them saying to themselves "she's poor" or "she's on food stamps, just look at what's in her cart." I had heard several of our Leadership Benton County class members say the same sort of thing when we had them participate in an abbreviated version of this project. Part of me wanted to say "I'm working on a project" or something to qualify what I was doing, so I didn't have a stigma attached to me. It was a humbling experience. I know this is going to change the way I look at everything.......it already has! kbk

1 comment:

Lela said...

I can relate. I had my daughter following me around with the calculator. I'm sure people noticed when I told her to 'put that back until the end and we'll see if we can afford it'.