Monday, February 23, 2009

$25 Grocery Challenge--Moving Along


Because of something I have going next Saturday, I too started on Saturday. I did, however, do most of my shopping on Sunday, stopping at the "W" store, as well as the "A" (discount & surplus) store. Some early thoughts:


  • Oatmeal, cheap raisin bran, budget bread, peanut butter, ramen noodles and processed cheese slices early in the day can put one into the price range of a modest, but decent dinner--if you don't mind spending a little time in the kitchen.

  • (one that might not be politically correct at work) If people had to live on $25 a week, I'd be out of a job. One simply can't buy much meat protein on this budget.

  • (and one that won't be PC in other circles) Locally-grown & organic? That'd be a tough one. Even imported fresh veggies (some of which I bought) push the envelope quite a bit. In our market, this time of year, frozen and canned are much more practically nutritious.

I'll be cross-posting about this at the Tyson Hunger Relief blog.

If you Twitter about this, I suggest the tag #$25GroceryChallenge

No comments: