Tuesday, February 17, 2009

$25 Grocery Challenge

I've been thinking for the past few weeks how I am going to survive on $25 for the entire week. I typically eat whatever I want and don't give much thought to how much I spend on food. As is the case for so many of us, lunch or dinner is as much of a social gathering as it is about actually eating. I just read Dana's post and I have to agree that I, too, am going to be very hungry next week. I eagerly accept this challenge and I know I am going to learn so much. I also anticipate coming away with a new perception of how difficult the day to day struggles can be for those just trying to make ends meet. The one thought that keeps popping into my head is "I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make it for a week; I can go without for a week and then get back to my normal routine. The reality is, there are people who are trying to figure out how to survive every single day. Although this is going to be an incredible experience, it will still only be a small glimpse into what most of us take for granted, daily."

Thanks to Brooke and her team for making this project possible, and thanks to all my fellow "challengers" who will be participating. I look forward to reading about everyone's insights.

For anyone who would like to help with a food donation, please feel free to contact any of us.

No comments: