Friday, February 27, 2009

Finally Friday!

I'm so thankful Friday is finally here. I have to admit that as far as workload is concerned, this has been one of my easier weeks. However, because of the Challenge, it has been one of the most difficult weeks I have had in a long time. It's probably good that my schedule was lighter this week because I'm afraid I would have fallen far short of expectations if people were counting on me to be on top of my game. Which brings to mind the issue of productivity in the workplace and performance in the classroom. I know there are millions of adults that go to work and children that go to school hungry each day. These people probably suffer greater effects from the hunger than what we have all posted about over the last few days. Just imagine how much more productive we would be as a nation if hunger were eliminated!

I was sitting in my co-worker Nancy's office this morning and we were talking about the Challenge and how my day was going. We laughed at the fact that PB&J has become a staple for me the last couple of days. When I told Nancy I had forgotten to make a sandwich this morning and that all I had to eat today were the saltines I brought yesterday, Nancy offered to share the PB she keeps in her desk drawer. Nancy, who is our Director of Creative Services, suggested that I write an article for our weekly email blast that will go out to over 2,800 subscribers on Monday. Nancy thought it would be a great idea to bring some attention to the Challenge and help encourage our (Chamber of Commerce) members to contribute to the food drive. After I came back from running errands (during the time I used to refer to as "lunch") I sat down to write the article. It took far more time than usual for me to put coherent thoughts together, but hopefully the article will spur donations for the food drive. I used some of Ed's statistics, as those numbers are startling if you really think about it.

With only two days left for the Challenge I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I must confess, though, that I am going to be a bit over my $25 limit. I'm going to make a stop at the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on my way home to purchase some chicken strips and potatoes from the deli. I can make those last through the weekend (in combination with the food I still have left in the pantry and the fridge) and I honestly can't face the idea of having to cook something tonight.

I think Bettina hit the nail on the head, at least for me, when she wrote about not being able to partake of the bounty that surrounds us. Last night my mom told me she and my dad went out to eat. Dad told her he would take her anywhere she wanted to go. She opted for her favorite eggplant parmigiana at Olive Garden. When she said that, my heart sank a little bit. Not because I was hungry and would have wanted the eggplant, but because I couldn't go to the Olive Garden. For the last week it's as if something has been taken away from me that I didn't even realize I had. But believe me, I realize it now, and I don't ever want to take it for granted again! kbk

No comments: