Friday, February 27, 2009

I Cheated (But I didn't mean to!)

WOW! My awareness is definitely raised! The challenge has gone pretty well for me this week. I'm not starving, but like others have posted, my energy levels are down considerably. I feel very sluggish and my mind is a bit numb. I hope I NEVER see another peanut butter and jelly sandwich again!

Okay, onto what I really want to blog about:

I confess: I cheated! TWICE!!! I didn't purposely cheat, but it happened, and I felt bad.

First true confession: I walked by the break room here at the food bank and some of the employees were enjoying a rice krispie treat dessert. It looked delicious and I took a piece. Just as I popped it into my mouth, a reporter from the UofA radio station walked in and caught me. He was here to see how difficult the week was for me, and I was eating cake! When I took that bite of dessert it didn't even register with me that it was off limits. I took it for granted, and boy, this week has certainly opened my eyes to just how many things I take for granted.

Second true confession: I bought a coke at the check-out at Sam's. Once again, I've always taken it for granted. I was thirsty, so I satisfied my need. Of course, my $25 was all gone, so I had no money for a coke. As I took the first sip, it hit me that I had cheated again. This cheating thing is pretty easy to do, and that's sad. I started thinking about all the things I take for granted, and I was embarrassed at myself and my habits.

After the rice krispie and coke incidents, I went home and confessed to my family what I had done. It opened a great dialogue with my husband and 2 teenagers. We really started talking about the things we buy that we don't give a second thought to, and what we base our grocery buying decisions on. Cokes at the checkouts because they're too convenient, cereal based on a pretty package, convenience foods that could be made from scratch at a lower cost, and even toilet tissue because it has a puppy on the package. When we really stopped to think about how much money we waste on things like this, we were embarrassed.

I will go to the grocery store this weekend and look at things in a whole new light. Fancy cereal is out and cheaper bagged cereal is in. The puppy on the T.P. wrapper is cute, but not cute enough to keep. Those cokes at the checkout? GONE! I'm going to be tracking my savings from now on, and each month I'll use that savings to purchase food for the food bank. I encourage everyone else to do the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No offense, but "shame on all of you". Seriously. At first I thought the UW challenge was a flat $25.00 a week ... and I was intriqued. Then I find out it's $25.00 A PERSON. Please. There is absolutely no reason in the world why a family of 4 couldn't live off $100.00 a week in groceries given a little common sense and honest home cooking. You want a challenge? Feed a family of 6 off $50.00 a week - a flat $50.00. Now THAT's a challenge.