Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How Lisa Darling LIVES UNITED

We are inviting people to tell us their LIVE UNITED stories and what LIVE UNITED means to them, then posting those stories here on our blog.

Lisa Darling is very involved in the community, and always keeps United Way at the forefront when she thinks about ways to give back her time, talents or dollars.

Here is what LIVE UNITED means to Lisa:

LIVE UNITED! To me, that’s the confluence of every aspect of your life – family, work, values, assets - and how you leverage every facet to help those around you.

“Our happiness is greatest when we contribute most to the happiness of others.” --- Chinese Fortune Cookie (03/04/10)

Raised by two terrific parents in Miami, Florida, I was fortunate to have had my entire extended family around me to share their values, principles, and beliefs well into adulthood. My first experience with helping others was in high school, as founding president of Jr. Civitan, and later in college as a Collegiate Civitan. That was many years ago, but it helped shape the person I have become.

I’m incredibly proud to have been with Procter & Gamble for nearly 15 years … a purpose-driven company with terrific people … and principles and values which match my own. One aspect of my role at P&G is to coordinate and manage our local community giving. This is very rewarding, and I hope to continue this work on behalf of P&G for many years to come.

Five years ago I fell in love with another company … Silpada Designs … which designs, manufactures, and sells fine sterling silver jewelry. Silpada is also a purpose-driven company, focusing the spotlight on the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, giving more than $1million to JDRF over the past ten years. Silpada offers me, as an independent sales representative, the opportunity to meet people, raise awareness for JDRF via our polishing cloth sales, and raise funds for my favorite charities while introducing people to an opportunity to enjoy great jewelry, have fun, fellowship, and the like.

In April of 2008, I joined with several girlfriends to form Womenade of Northwest Arkansas, a women’s giving circle dedicated to helping others where no other help is available … “Giving our time, our talents, and our treasures to help and preserve the dignity of those in need.”

The other true blessing I have is my family. Married to Count for the better part of 29 years, together we have three great kids (Tiffany, Ashley, and Beau), a wonderful home in Fayetteville, and some really terrific friends.

LIVE UNITED! It’s very rewarding!

Want to share your LIVE UNITED story? Visit our website and tell us your story! One just might be featured here!

No comments: