Friday, December 16, 2011

Abundantly Blessed

Today's post is written by Teresa Smith. Teresa has been with UWNWA for seven years, and has held several positions here. Teresa is currently Manager of 2-1-1 for UWNWA.

I know that I am abundantly blessed. I have a wonderful job, I have a car to get me to work, I have a warm home to go to every night, I have food available so that I can cook something wonderful for my family, I have a warm bed, and friends and family that would be there in a heartbeat if I needed them.


But what if I had none of the things above?

What if I had no transportation to get me to my job?

What if I had no job but had children to feed?

What if I had no place for myself and my children to stay?

What if I had no one to call to help?


As the Manager of United Way 2-1-1, I answer these calls everyday from desperate people who are just the same as I am but something occurred in their life and put them in a different situation where they needed assistance for the basics of living. Since January of last year 2-1-1 has answered 12,448 calls from individuals in these situations.

During this holiday season I hope that you will take a moment to be thankful for all the blessings you have in your life and help your fellow neighbor who needs a helping hand. If you know someone that is going to be alone for the holidays invite them to join your family for a meal, buy a toy for a child that you know is not going to have anything under their tree come Christmas morning, volunteer your time at a local shelter to help serve those in need.

It does not take a lot of money or time to make a difference in someone’s life. Sometimes it is just a voice at the end of the phone calming their fears and helping to make a connection for resources they are in need of.

Call 2-1-1 today to see how you can make a difference or if you know of someone in need of assistance. Help is really a phone call away.

No comments: